Chicken Pathia – 2sp

I’m always keen to try a new curry recipe and so when my next door neighbour whipped this one up for me, I knew I had to recreate it for you all. I have adapted the original recipe to suit my own taste (so this version is a little spicier and zestier than the original) but I have to say, it is by far the nicest homemade curry I have tasted. Not only is it on 2sp per person but it honestly tastes like it has come straight from an Indian restaurant.

You can serve this curry with the accompaniments of your choice. I served it with some beautiful Pilau Cauliflower Rice. I simply popped the riced cauliflower on a heated greased baking tray, sprinkled it with Swartz Pilau seasoning and put in the oven on 180c for the last 10 minutes that the curry was cooking. This lovely 0sp rice alternative means you have enough points left over for a Weight Watchers Garlic and Coriander Naan Bread (4sp). That’s a whole Indian meal for only 6sp!!

If you are having a dinner party, you can also make this curry as part of an Indian feast. I started my feast off with some 0sp Indian Onion Salad (recipe below), Rathia (0% fat Greek yoghurt mixed with ¼ tsp mint sauce, ¼ cumin and juice of ½ lemon) and Mango Chutney with 1 poppadum per person.

I then served the curry as the main with some cauliflower rice, normal pilau rice for the non Weight Watching boys (long grain rice cooked with chicken stock and pilau seasoning as in the picture above) and some of my lovely Saag Aloo (2sp) which goes with this curry perfectly.

Chicken Pathia

Serves 4 = 2sp per person

For the paste

1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped

4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped

Thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped

1 red chilli, roughly chopped

1 tsp each of ground coriander, paprika and turmeric

400g tin of chopped tomatoes

250 ml water

For the curry

1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped

2 pepper, deseeded and chopped into large chunks

2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped

Small piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped

1 tsp each of cumin and ground coriander

½ tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt and cayenne pepper

Large pinch of crushed chillies (optional)

1 bay leaf

1 tbsp tomato puree

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

2 tsp sugar

800g chicken breasts, raw and cubed

300ml chicken stock (made with 1 chicken stock cube)

Juice of 1 lemon

Handful coriander, roughly chopped

Indian Onion Salad – mix together:

1 large white onion, finely chopped

1/4 cucumber, finely chopped

2 large tomatoes, finely chopped

Juice of 1 lemon

Handful fresh coriander, finely chopped

1/4 tsp mint sauce

Pinch of cumin

Method

Begin by making the paste. Take a large frying pan, spray with 1kal and heat to a medium heat. Fry the garlic, ginger, chilli, ground coriander, paprika and turmeric for a minute or two to release the flavours. Add a little water to stop the mixture sticking to the pan. Then add the onions and fry for around 10 minutes (until the onions are nice and soft). Add the tomatoes and 250ml of water and then simmer on a low heat for half an hour. The sauce paste should get thicker with the water evaporating away.

While the paste is simmering, spray another large pan with 1kal and fry the onion, garlic, pepper, ginger, cumin and ground coriander for 10 minutes until the onions have started to soften. Add a little water to stop the mixture sticking to the pan if necessary.

Add the sauce paste that you made with the chicken stock, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, crushed chillies, bay leaf, tomato puree, white wine vinegar, sugar and salt to the pan. Give everything a good mix to combine together and then add the raw chicken, covering in the sauce.

Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and then add the fresh coriander (reserve a little to dress) and lemon. Stir and simmer for another 10 minutes until the curry has reduced and is nice and thick and velvety. Garnish with a little more fresh coriander.

Serve with the accompaniments of your choice.

Enjoy!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

56 thoughts on “Chicken Pathia – 2sp

• CAMiller says:

Thanks Laura for a great recipe, made Chicken Pathia tonight, delicious and only 2 SP. Brilliant. Next dish will be turkey burgers. Is there an easy option to print your recipes? I find it much easier to read paper than my tablet or phone. Camilla

• lakettle says:

So pleased you liked it! Not at the moment, you can copy and paste to a word doc. Hoping to have it added soon x

1. Tracey Scott says:

I’ve just made this for tea tonight and it was delicious! My hubby is a chef and he said it was really good. 😋 xx

2. justine says:

hi what a great recipe, i added some pineapple juice and a ring to my recipe near the end and it gave a Dansak taste to it.
    not sure what the points would be with that added?

3. Kirsty says:

Hi Laura in the curry ingredients it says juice of a lemon and garlic but I can’t see where you add it to the recipe…I have just thrown itogether in the frying pan! Hope this is right just waiting for my chicken to cook I’m starving g smells so good! X

• Kirsty says:

It was amazing! ! My husband is a massive pathia fan and he said it was gorgeous! Definitely going to be making this again! Your recipes have got me through a 2 stone weightless for my wedding and even now the wedding is over I’m still carrying on making your food…it’s so so nice! X

4. Janet Brock says:

Myself and my husband are addicted to this recipe and it has really helped us on our weightloss. Thanks so much.

5. Melanie Valentine says:

Cooked this last night for me and my son it was fabulous. My son found it too hot for his taste buds so I will make his batch with out the chilli next time will definitely make again. I am now going to try the saag aloo and onion baj . we are both members of ww and I found your site through the magazine so from now I will be working my way through all your receipes they all look fabulous. thank you melanie x

6. Carly says:

This curry is unbelievably delicious! Thank you so much for your website…you help many, many people x
    You were not joking when you said it tasted like it had been cooked in an Indian restaurant..it’s divine! X

• Carly davies says:

Hi Laura..

I’m making your curry on Saturday evening for supper with friends but would like to use lamb instead of chicken. I will adjust the points but just wondered….would you change the chicken stock for lamb stock? Thank you so much! ,

• Laura says:

Hi Carly, yep I would change for lamb stock and I think it would be delicious. I would also probably add a bag of spinach right at the end! Hope you enjoy x

7. Sally Holland says:

Hi Laura, I’m planning on making this tomorrow, I can’t work out where you add the paste to the sauce? It say’s to make the paste, then the curry adding in the chicken, what do I do with the paste? Thanks 🙂 x

8. Sophie says:

Just found this recipe and can’t wait to make it- can’t believe it is only 2spts! If I want to make it less spicy, do I just miss out the chillies? Thanks!

9. Debbie says:

I’ve put all the ingredients in my slow cooker for easy Friday night dinner for when I get home from work. My OH has just got home and says it smells amazing!

10. Claire says:

We made this recipe last night- absolutely amazing! We also made the onion bhaji (another SKS recipe) as a side and served with a half rice/ half cauli rice mix – felt like I was in an Indian restaurant and a serious treat but all for a total of 7sp! Crazy! Will be eating time and time again! Thanks so much for sharing!

11. Kizzi says:

Just had this meal – absolutely gorgeous!! So flavoursome. My husband said it was the best curry he has ever had! Will definitely be regular recipe in our house. Thank you!

12. Donna hyde says:

I made this with my 12 year old son, he loved putting together all of the ingredients..and loved the meal when ready…well worth a try

13. Amber Mitchell says:

Hi Laura

My husband made this for us last night and whilst time consuming, it was absolutely delicious. Thank you so much and please please please keep coming up with these fabulous low point recipes – they make losing weight so easy.

14. Caroline Paleschi says:

Made this curry for supper on Tuesday …… OH and I went out for a few drinks ….. Returned to find half the chicken out of our curry was missing 😩 My girls are very fussy eaters (it couldn’t be them) or could it ?
    The answer is YES 😂😂. Amazing recipe …. Thankyou again X

15. Kirsty says:

Hi Laura I’m going to make this tonight but got stewing beef as was going to make the madras. Would I put the beef in raw at the same stage as the chicken or brown if first? X

16. Sarah M says:

HI Laura,
    I’m looking at the salad and wondering what you mean by mint sauce and where would I get in in the grocery store? I’m new to the UK, from Canada, and it’s funny how many differences there are, especially when shopping!

• lakettle says:

Hi Sarah, mint sauce is something we Brits can buy in a jar and it usually would be drizzled over a Sunday roast or in Indian dips. It will be in a jar next to the gravy granules and other dressings most likely but if you ask in the shop they wills show you. It lasts in the fridge for ages x

17. Amanda says:

Hi Laura
    Your recipe saved me tonight, my dinner was 1 of 2 halves, started as mushroom & chickpea curry from the latest WW mag, result was very bitter not great tasting at all, the ingredients were similar but not as comprehensive as yours so I started with WW & turned it into your Pathia adding 1 chicken breast… it was a taste sensation served with an unfolded flatbread smeared with garlic, Bertolli light , coriander salt & lemon mmm mmmm mmm!
    Thank you for saving my dinner (and my points balance) Amanda x

18. Denise W says:

Hi Laura
    We absolutely loved this pathia, but when I added this recipe into my meals on my WW app it came out at 4sp.
    I checked again and the 800 grams of chicken required came out at 12sp then the sugar and tomato purée would add extra sp.
    I must say we have had 6 or 7 of your recipes and everyone has been a great success.
    I was running out of steam with my weight loss but you have motivated me to stick at it with your recipes.
    Well done👍😊

Hi Laura,
    Please ignore my comment regarding the points value of the chicken, I have just double checked and I have made a mistake saying it was 12 points.
    My apologies